Singa-eats 3: FYR Cycene Ond Drinc (Review)

By Shu - 15:07

Hello! Having started work in the East of Singapore, I now rarely have the time to explore new food places in town. So every weekend now I have a mission to try as many out-of-the-way food places as possible. Last Saturday brought me to FYR Cycene Ond Drinc (old english for Fire Kitchen & Drink) along Boon Tat Street around Telok Ayer/Raffles Place.

19 Boon Tat Street, Singapore (069619)
Reserve here

This establishment serves a wide range of modern European dishes infused with the herbs and spices of South East Asia. The interior is spacious and rustic with a touch of the prehistoric - cute stone-age style murals on the back walls and walls lined with wooden logs. Mains here are grilled over a Josper grill - an indoor grill with a door to ensure that moisture/flavour doesn't escape - with lychee wood that makes the meat so very fragrant and succulent. Here's what we tried:

 Grain-fed US Holstein Cow Ribeye 365 Days with Black Truffle Sauce - $32
This is easily one of the best slabs of ribeye I've eaten in a while. The ribeye is aged for a more concentrated flavour and it was fat, juicy and heavenly with the black truffle sauce that was given on the side.

Whole Maine Lobster with Shallot Lemongrass Bechamel - $39
I'm not a seafood fan, but le bf enjoyed this very much. From the little I've tried, I was pleasantly suprised by the indulgent buttery-ness of the bechamel that the lobster was filled with, but did wish the lemongrass flavour came through a bit more. Nonetheless, this plate was quickly polished off by the happy bf who was singing praises about the lobster even long after we've left the restaurant.

 Buttered Cassava & Mashed Potato
These sides came with the main. I'm a big butter fan so I loved how the cassava and the potato were steaming with fragrant butter goodness but unfortuantely the cassava didn't do it for me... Cassava (tapoica) is slightly sweet by nature so I thought it didn't go very well with the butter sauce.

 Baked Pistachio Melt with Pandan Ice Cream - $10
This is honestly a very affordable and value for money dessert. Also the most commonly seen on Instagram - it look so pretty! It was leaning towards the sweeter side but after the heavy and flavourful mains my tastebuds were craving for a little sugar to end off the meal anyway. The lava cake was oozing goodness and I'm loving the Asian inspired flavours here. The grilled marshmellow on top of the lava cake was a good touch too!

All in all we definitely had a good time here. I'd go back in a heartbeat to try their other dishes. That lamb rack sounds so delicious! Hope my review helped! Do give this place a visit if you're in the area and are craving a good meal to unwind over the weekend or after work ;)

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 Comments