MILF 5 (My Incredible London Food List): Club Gascon (Review)

By Shu - 04:10

 
Cheers!

57 West Smithfield, London, EC1A 9DS  

This week's food hunt brought us to Club Gascon, a Michelin Starred restaurant serving food inspired by the southwest of France. This is my second michelin starred experience in London, the other having been Joel Robuchon's (I evidently have a thing for French food!). I think part of the fun in dining out is in the restaurant service, and it's nice how in these restaurants the waiters will explain your dishes to you (in a sexy French accent no less) when they serve your food. And somehow they always manage to be attentive but not imposing or kaypoh, which makes the entire dining experience much more pleasant.

We initially wanted to visit for dinner, but their le marche dinner menu was £65 and much too exorbitant so we ended up going for lunch instead. Coincidentally, Opentable had 3-course-plus-champagne-cocktail for £35 promotion, which we thought was quite the good deal.
 


 
Club Gascon is surprisingly small and intimate. I also LOVE their crockery (and cutlery). I didn't manage to capture the details of the plates, but you can kinda see it on the first photo - look at the lace engraved slate/stone plate!!! I love anything that's industrial x romantic and that sooo up my alley. #need

A generous glass of fizzy to start with

Chantilly cream and smoked butter
I think my favourite part of today's meal was... the bread. No seriously, it was SOO GOOD. I don't have a photo of it, but they had pretty wide selection of bread to start of with. Amanda chose the brioche, which was piping hot and buttery and so soft I think I could just that and that alone for lunch. The butter was lovely and fragrant too, who can resist whipped butter??



Starters: White asparagus and coffee cloud (top) & duck tartare, salted cod juice and charcoal shallots (bottom)
I am usually not a fan of asparagus, but this was surprisngly light on the tastebuds and the bitter coffee cream contrasted well with the green-ness of it all. The duck tartare wasn't too my liking, unfortuantely. Everything was too heavy and flavourful, and raw meat is just not my thing.




Mains: Tulips, Quinoa and Hollandaise (top) & Guinea fowl, elderflower glazed chicory and Mustard
 Much love for these two plates. Especially surprised at how they made quinoa palatable for once. The fowl was tender and juicy despite being breastmeat and went well with the mustard.



Dessert: Apple forest, blackberries and frosted lime sorbet (top) & Goat's cheese, piquillo pesto and red chilly jelly
Nicely put together methinks, while nothing spectacular individually I really liked the apple forest, blackberries and sorbet put together. I didn't really get to try goat's cheese, but XZ swears by the red pepper crisp that they had at the side.

We also had a complimentary selection of chocolates to finish.

All in all we had a pleasant experience at Club Gascon, the menu was light, well put together, and felt so appropriate for spring! I'm actually considering going back a second time when they release their summer menu hehe. Well, hope you enjoyed the photos and the occasional ramble... I'd recommend this place if you wanted a nice lunch environment, good food and didn't want to break the bank. Till the next update! x

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 Comments

  1. minibus hire leicester
    thorpe park minibus hire
    cheap minibus coach hire
    minibus hire ipswich
    liverpool to manchester minibus hire
    We offer a 8 seat minibus, 10 seat minibus, 12 seat minibus, 14 seat minibus and 16 seat minibus From Leeds, Sheffield, Doncaster, Bradford, Wakefield, York, Hull, Scarborough, Newcastle, Birmingham, Huddersfield, Barnsley, Castleford, Batley, Dewsbury, and all surrounding areas to and from Sheffield Doncaster Airport.

    ReplyDelete